The Morning After (Four More Years!)

I stayed up until the end, until our President took the stage, until tears were running down my face at his words:

America, I believe we can build on the progress we’ve made and continue to fight for new jobs and new opportunity and new security for the middle class. I believe we can keep the promise of our founders, the idea that if you’re willing to work hard, it doesn’t matter who you are or where you come from or what you look like or where you love. It doesn’t matter whether you’re black or white or Hispanic or Asian or Native American or young or old or rich or poor, able, disabled, gay or straight, you can make it here in America if you’re willing to try.

I believe we can seize this future together because we are not as divided as our politics suggests. We’re not as cynical as the pundits believe. We are greater than the sum of our individual ambitions, and we remain more than a collection of red states and blue states. We are and forever will be the United States of America.

It wasn’t just the re-election of President Obama that made my heart sing.

Joe Walsh, the man that claimed I don’t exist, lost his reelection bid.

Todd Akin, failed scientist and idiot about rape, was legitimately defeated.

Elizabeth Warren, the woman with an amazing understanding of the economy, won her bid for the Senate.

Maize Hirono will be the first Asian-American woman in the senate.

Tammy Baldwin will be the first openly gay senator.

Here in Pennsylvania, Kathleen Kane won the Attorney General spot after having to face one of the ugliest set of attack ads I’ve ever seen – including one in the last few days that basically claimed she accepted bribes (it was really campaign donations) with an actress playing her and accepting envelopes of money.

…..

After watching a campaign full of ridiculous statements about women, it was heartening to see the speakers of those statements sent packing. My heart was singing by the end of the night. It was amazing.

…..

I know many of you don’t feel the same way today. I’m so sorry things didn’t go your way. I believe, though, that what’s important now is that we all work hard toward compromise instead of rancor.

What do you say?

Comments

1. Observacious says

Don’t forget the defeat of Richard Mourdock, the legalization of marriage equality in Maine and Maryland, and the prevention of a marriage equality ban in Minnesota.

As you say there are those who feel differently today, but for me it was a very good night.

2. Tine says

I say all the same things. Especially the part about working together.

Also, I am crying tears of joy over the defeat of Minnesota’s two discriminatory proposed amendments. The good people of MN came through for justice!

3. Korinthia says

Wasn’t that a moving speech? And I thought Romney was gracious in defeat. I particularly liked that Obama said he would be meeting with Romney to discuss ideas, because it shows he knows he represents everyone, even those who didn’t vote for him. I’m a proud American today.

4. Shannon Drury says

Count me as one of those good MN people! I even went so far as to go doorknocking yesterday morning, in 35 degree temps, in the rain….but hey, making history isn’t easy. I’m so proud of my home state!

5. Cheney says

And in Connecticut Chris Murphy beat out the woman who tried to purchase her senate seat. Woot woot!

I couldn’t be happier. Unless Obama whipped out some actual magic and made it 72 degrees and sunny ALL THE TIME.

6. Erin says

This all makes my heart sing. I’ve had permanent grin ever since I heard. I feel like we won against the schoolyard bully!

• Elena says

Well not exactly. The school bully (aka the IRS) will be coming in droves to enforce the new health care rules. But they wear suits and sunglasses so it’s all good! : )

7. Thistle says

Joe Walsh denied my existence too; I survived the same terrible disease you did – twice. Fortunately, both of my babies did too. I am so relieved to keep people like him away for at least another four years. I have never commented on your blog before, but I’ve been a faithful reader for a long time. I found you right after I had my first baby and was still trying to understand the horrific experience I had just had. I was staunchly pro-life before I had him. I want you to know that you played a huge role in helping me understand that my thinking was wrong. I should have told you that sooner. Thank you for being a voice for women, especially women like us who have been through things that certain men can’t seem to comprehend.

8. RainbowW says

in texas it’s a sea of red, except in the little districts that are gerrymandered blue. louie “terror babies” ghomert is back, with 72% of his distrct. for senate we get ted cruz, a tea party nutcase replacing texas’ senior senator kay bailey hutchison. in the district i voted in, we (again) got pete “taliban” sessions. ron paul is retiring, and his seat in TX-14 goes to randy weber, a bible-thumping jesus freak from pearland, near houston. like many of those, he was brain-damaged at rebirth.

the only bright spot was the victory of state senator wendy davis of fort worth, who takes away the republican super majority in the state senate. they’d tried and have seemingly failed to gerrymander her out, and the race was incredibly ugly. her crime was single-handedly fillibustering $5 billion in education cuts during the regular session, forcing a special session where they rammed the cuts through anyway. because god forbid we should have, you know, taxes.

• Christine says

Taxes are going up in January, regardless of the outcome of the election. A bunch of cuts were slated to expire and it wasn’t even an issue because no one had any intention of stopping it, not that the President could act alone, anyway. It’s not a dictatorship.

• Christine says

A difference of opinion is one thing. I could seriously do without the condescending attitude. I’m a liberal living in Arizona. Do you really think I have liked the outcomes of all the elections? I manage to not walk around telling everyone else how stupid they are. Their vote; their right, and that’s what I taught my kids. Can you say the same?

• Elena says

I don’t tell people they are stupid. But I do point out that not all choices are equal and some have big consequences. This is one of them. The debt is 16 trillion, the unemployment rate is 7.9%, and big taxes are coming. You voted for more of this. I’m just pointing it out.

9. Libby says

I am so stoked today. Obama won and “team rape” lost, as Jezebel says. And all the new lady senators make me very happy.

10. Heather says

Let’s not forget NH electing a female governor and ALL female Senate delegation. First time in history.

• Karen says

I hope you’re not just assuming a woman will do a better job than a man. I wish we could leave all this affirmative action crap behind and just focus on who will do the best job–not whether they’re male, female, black or white.

11. RainbowW says

oh yeah, one other national upside: tammy duckworth defeated joe walsh for congress in IL-8, which suggests that it is generally a negative with voters when you suggest that your opponent talks about her military service too much, and say that she’s not a real hero, having left her legs behind when she was evacuated out of iraq.

12. Peggy says

As a Canadian who lives in a country led by an idiot who allowed himself to be heavily influenced by some of the stupid policies of Bush 43, I was so happy and relieved to watch the victories unfold last night. It was encouraging to see that in the face of overwhelmingly negative messages, Americans made the right choice. Hopefully folks from both sides will work together for the greater good of everyone!

13. jeanie says

As someone watching from the other side of the world, I am extremely relieved that our American friends showed that they regarded the options and chose the best that they could. Hooray.

14. Elena says

I say good. And now I think the Republicans should just let anything Obama wants slide through congress – because we have a large portion of the society that needs to know what it feels like to live in a socialist country sliding into a sea or red ink with crushing debt on top of high inflation and a bigger bite out of the pocket book for taxes and living expenses. They won’t wake up until they experience some serious pain – and they just voted themselves four more years of it – only this time with more “flexibility.” Ya’ll wanted it/now live with it.

The best way to get a conservative government for 20+ years, is to have four more years of this president not facing a re-election bid.

• Keri says

Coming from a country where most of the “socialist” (You keep using that word. It does not mean what you think it means) reforms are already in place and have been for years (Australia), here’s what you’ve got to look forward to:

*Paying half as much for medication as you do right now.
      * Having a public health system that’s world class and covers EVERYONE for free. We pay less in taxes for that than you pay in Private Health insurance AND you get your choice of doctor.
      *Gun control laws after the FIRST mass-shooting we had, that means we haven’t seen another one. And they were brought in by the CONSERVATIVE party here.
      * An economy that got through the GFC with barely any drop in employment, only one quarter with negative growth and an economy that’s the envy of the world.
      * Yes, we have slightly higher taxes, but NO ONE GOES MEDICALLY BANKRUPT HERE. It isn’t even a concept.
      *We get 9% on top of our wages put away for us in a superannuation account of our choice, to pay for our retirement.
      *You can choose to have Private Health if you want, but our public system is so good that they have to give rebates for anyone to buy it.

Good job, America. You’ve just re-elected someone who might get stuff DONE.

15. Jb says

Relief. Loads of it. With no further elections in his future I hope Obama really goes for it this term. And yay on the women voting for – ourselves. And you keep your health insurance. and your mom? She ok?

16. Phyllis says

Romney’s graciousness has ended and he is now saying the President won the election by giving gifts to his base. Gifts like healthcare, contraception, college opportunities with lower interest rates for student loans, a path to children of immigrants to this country. Yes, all the gifts that a Romney win would have taken away widening the chasm of the haves and the have nots. I am so thankful that President Obama was re-elected and it is time for those of us who supported him to stand with him and write, call and email our representative with our concerns and demands.