Whip It Out: How Big Is YOUR Clit?

I know, I know. But dudes, I couldn’t resist. Cause it turns out? It’s a TON bigger than you thought.

I first heard about it being bigger than just the little nub we all know and love thanks to the awesome Dr. Marci Bowers who has been performing a new surgery called either “clitoralplasty” or “female circumcision reversals” (a surgery pioneered by Dr. Pierre Foldes). Dr. Bowers has been performing reconstructive surgery for twenty years. I read this awesome article about her in The Daily Beast a while back. Basically, it turns out there is a whole lot of clitoris behind the “nub,” and with careful surgery it can be teased out so that a new clitoris is built after the original had been brutally cut off in female genital mutilation. It turns out for many women not only is there a loss of sensation but also massive scar tissue that makes sex actually painful, thanks to the way the ritual is performed (in one surgery, Dr. Bowers removed two centimeters of scar tissue and an extensive amount of “ash poultice” used to stop bleeding.

In that initial article about Dr. Bowers it discussed the fact that the clitoris extends “several centimeters” under the skin. Turns out, even THAT isn’t quite accurate. Wanna see?

You know you do.

In this awesome i09 article, they discussed the fact that until 2009 – yes, two thousand and fucking NINE – the clitoris was considered to be a little thing. But it turns out, it’s a fucking ICEBERG and we’ve just been playing with the tip.

Check out this MRI. The yellow thing?

IT’S YOUR FUCKING CLITORIS.

I KNOW. Can you believe it???

People. This changes EVERYTHING.

________________________________________________________

I know this is more news-ish then my usual posts. But dudes. CLITORIS!

Comments

1. GENdMOM says

Thank you so much for bringing this to my attention, it sure explains a lot and I tell you there is going to be a lot more time and respect paid to my clitoris when I tell my husband about this!!!!

2. Jasmine says

When I see those black and white framed pictures of icebergs with a inspirational quote underneath it….I’ll think of my clit.

3. the sweetest says

Reading this while waiting at obgyn office. How appropriate. So, I’m guessing the mysterious G spot is just a way to reach the test of the clitoris.

4. Stephanie R. says

OH. MY. GAWD! I had to read this, because I couldn’t believe you actually wrote about *it*, then again I am thankful that you did because WOW, its WAY larger than I thought.

• Empty Sack says

As a man who had to have his testicles removed after an accident I’m waiting to be impressed that they can replace balls. Not that I am unimpressed with female genital mutilation reversal surgery.

Interesting graphic showing the length and breadth of the clitoris!

5. Meagan says

Great graphic. That does explain a lot. I admit I follow My Sex Professor (Dr. Debby Herbenick), who is a sex researcher here at the Kinsey Institute, on twitter, but I hadn’t seen that before.

6. Shaynee says

So the G spot may actually be stimulating a more recessed part of the clitoris through the vaginal wall. That could explain why some can find it and others cannot–I bet the two are more proximal in some bodies. Who knew there was so much lurking in there!

7. Mary says

Thanks for linking to that article. I have my masters in international development, and never knew that was possible. That article brought tears to my eyes. It’s an outrage that American insurance considers that procedure to be cosmetic. It could change the lives of so many women!

8. Robin says

Are you kidding me? All my life I thought I was some kind of freak for things happening with my body and now I know why. How could I not know this? Cecily you so rock.

9. Shauna Hepner says

This is great BUT now what? Why is it buried? What do we do with information other then use it for a shocking party conversation starter?

10. Sara says

You truly aren’t afraid to touch any topic. I love this about you. I love knowing you have so many facts and it makes so much more sense to know about our own little “tip of the iceberg”!

11. Horst says

The length of the clit is coresponding with the length of the outer lips (from mons veneris till perineum) This is is 7 -10 cm. The corpus spongiosum is shorter, about 5-6 cm, but much thicker than the corpus cavernosum, which is thick like a cooked spaghetti or maximum a makkaroni noodle, while the corpus spongiosum is thick like a thumb, by a sexual arousal.
    And what`s the matter with the external part, which we can see? Normally it looks poor, only the fbbs and some black african tribes have big ones, about 2 inches or so.
    What is the disadvantage of the clit? It can not penetrate and fuck anyone!

12. Illy says

OMG!!!! This is so awesome because i have suffed FGM my whole life. Now there is something that can be done about it. This is amazing.