It’s okay. I’ll wait.
– Mother Theresa

In the early 1990s, Mother Theresa traveled to New York City. She was committed to opening a new Mission for patients dying of AIDS. The people able to help her could only find a location far away in West Chester; Mother Theresa knew that it would be better for Manhattan's victims of AIDS to live closer to friends and family, so she sought until she found an empty property in the West Village that was perfect.

Mother Theresa called a young woman she knew to pick her up and take her to see the Mayor of New York City at the time, David Dinkins. Mother Theresa arrived at Mayor Dinkins office without an appointment, causing, as you can imagine, an incredible flurry of activity and excitement among the Mayor and his staff.

Once Mother Theresa had been ushered into Mayor Dinkins office, she explained the situation: she knew of a place that the city owned in the Village that would be perfect for her mission of mercy for AIDS patients. Mayor Dinkins sputtered and hemmed and hawed, pointing out that he, personally, didn't own that property and that it would be very difficult to transfer the property to her and it would take quite a bit of time. So Mother Theresa said, "It's okay; I'll wait." And she sat down and asked the young woman she'd arrived with to pray with her.

Mayor Dinkins handed the keys to Mother Theresa in under two hours.

…..

I heard this story this weekend and it just really resonated with me. The determination, strength, patience, faith, and – I'll say it – expert manipulation skills of Mother Theresa is inspiring to me.

During the last two years, as the economy stagnated and my work slowly dried up, I knew that it was important for me to keep going on the path I was choosing for myself. Even though the path was rocky, scary, and often terrifying – I really hated those weeks when we weren't sure we would be able to buy groceries – I am so fucking glad that I stuck with it.

In recovery you often hear "Don't quit five minutes before the miracle happens." I knew, as hard as it was this last year, that if I quit – if I left my hopes and dreams in the dust – I would regret it for the rest of my life.

So I stuck with it, against all the odds, and the way things have turned around is just blowing my mind. Not only do I have a great new job that I love, but I'm starting a new project soon that I'm crazy excited about, and I get phone calls with new opportunities every week. Yesterday I actually had a man that is trying to hire me say, "I'm persistent, and I want you, because you are the best at what you do."

It's a long way from where we were a year ago.

I am so grateful that I stuck it out.

…..

My little spot on the web here is going to be going through some changes.

I'm moving from this home to a different blogging platform, one that is more appropriate for my needs (don't worry, it will still be Uppercasewoman.com) so it will look different. I'll be adding in more categories and changing up the focus of some of my writing, so it will feel different too.

I've become a professional blogger. Yep. I'm a full time blogger, social media consultant, and I need a website that reflects what I do. So changes are a-coming, and I really, really hope you'll stick with me.

Don't quit me yet, folks. We've shared a lot of miracles together already; let's see what's coming next.

Support for specia needs ad

Comments

Just the type of thing i like to read…you go girl and i’m glad you toughed your way through.
    also, i like you more and more each time we meet. In about 17 years, we’ll be good pals!

“Don’t quit five minutes before the miracle.” Well, crap. I’ve not heard that one. And it’s freaking fantastic.
    Thank you for sharing that gem and all that you do. You remain an inspiration to me. Looking forward to your changes!

Congratulations. Writing life can be really hard and guilt-ridden. But those who make it seem to really love the freedom it brings.

4. AmyinTexas says

Yay! So glad I stuck with you! ;-)
    (And thank you for the Mother Theresa story… we’ve been trying to sell our house for over a year now–not for financial reasons but for space reasons–and our little niche neighborhood and old house don’t seem to be very appealing. The reminder that we might give up just before the right people walk through the door is a good one.)

Can not wait to see the changes on the blog! You’ve come a long way, and you’re sure to come much further in the next few months. I seriously love that saying.

I keep telling my husband that when we’re ready, we’ve got to hire you (or at least consult with you) for our business!!!

I keep telling my husband that when our business is ready for a full on social media campaign that we’ve got to hire you (or at least consult with you!) cuz you know yer stuff!!

I am a new reader inspired by your panel and presence at Type A con. Looking forward to where things go for you. Would love to talk about a more official campaign for my Marble Jar app if you have time for new clients.

9. Lisa F. says

Good luck with the transition, I look forward to checking out all the changes! Glad to hear things are going well.
    And I’m dying to know how things are going w/the renovation for your mom moving in w/you all! Hope that’s in good shape as well.

I have been here since the original email about your infertility journey…..will always be here. Love you like always. Kudos!

11. Kelly says

Yeah for you Cecily. I count you as a real inspiration and can’t wait to see what you do next.

12. Chickenpig says

I’m so glad you hung in there those last five minutes. I can’t wait to see what happens next. :) It feels good to be ‘getting in on the ground floor’ at Cecily’s Fun Emporium. Let the good times roll!!!!

13. Melissa says

This is fantastic and exciting and I can’t wait to see what else GREAT comes your way!!!!!!

14. Barbara says

Glad to hear that things are going well for you (you deserve it) but I hope your new site doesn’t look all chopped up like finslippy or require tons of clicking through like Dooce. Since all I’m really interested in is the blogging narrative I’ve basically given up on them. All I want to do is read the story — none of this “read more” stuff just to get another 1/2 paragraph of text.

I’m so glad that things are going so well for you. You absolutely deserve it. This is a great post and it’s exactly what I need to read today. Thank you for a much needed kick in the ass.

16. Leta says

Thank you for this post.
    We are going through a similar thing, looking for a house right now. We have to trust that when we find the right one we’ll have the money and vice versa.
    It’s hard, but really… the only other choice is despair. So faith it is.

17. amyinbc says

Don’t give up! About 10 years ago when selling our last place we fretted, dropped the price a few times and turns out we had VERY interested buyers just waiting for THEIR house to sell. Kind of kicking ourselves in hindsight for the price drops but such is life.

18. Ruth says

Brilliant news and I am so pleased you are finally getting the results you worked so hard for. You are a brave woman to have stuck with it when many would have given in/up! I have been reading you since coming here from Chez Miscarriage way back in October 2004 (although I’m not a big commenter!) so I will be right here reading you and looking forward to seeing what changes you might make. I am so happy for you!

You’ve done some hard work. As a therapist, I continually see people give up in process. It is heartbreaking. IN process means it is still happening… hold on. I am happy you did. You are a jewel in the blogworld. NOT just because of your influence, but because of your beautiful authentic soul.
    @Djazzo

20. Angela says

I don’t always post, but I always read! [GREAT video of Tori jamming on her guitar, btw.] You were too close to close up shop. Glad you didn’t listen to the naysayers. Then again, those who know you knew you never would! Congrats on movin’ on up, and I look forward to seeing what’s next.

21. keri o fab5momma says

Wonderful piece. I may have to print it out and frame it and look at it daily. Very inspirational. And very good for you sticking it out through bad times to get you to where you are today. I’m a new follower of your blog and on twitter, but I plan on checking your site out daily to keep up! Good luck in the future as well!