Houston: We Have a Problem

Hello Everyone. This is Sarah, Cecily’s best friend, and she asked that I post for her today.

I accompanied her and her husband to an ultrasound appt. this morning–I’ve been wanting to go and finally arranged that I could–and we got some sad news, folks.

One of the boys has passed away.

The tech had trouble at first, and moved us into another room with ‘better equipment’, and we all got a bit nervous. Then when she had told us the heart rate of Twin A, and before answering Cec about Twin B said "I’m going to get the doctor now"–well, we all swallowed pretty hard.

The doctor was lovely, very sweet and concerned but blunt: I have to tell you, this one has no heartbeat, no good fluid around the sac. It looks like he passed over a week ago.

FUCK.
Cecily, for anyone who has been graced to know her, was typically stoic at first. Very matter of fact. In a way, I think all the horror stories you all share had part of her preparing for this from the beginning. Charlie’s mind raced with a million questions to ask, and he got some of them out right there.

Then they sent us over to see Cec’s regular Dr.—yes, Dr. Mama–who had agreed to see her as soon as he could fit her in. He was also very sweet and blunt, went over all the same things and Charlie managed to get the other half of his questions out, and Dr. was very patient and understanding. He then sent her over to another building for more testing…serial blood pressure checks because her pressure was extremely high (though could obviously be stress-related), a DIC test to see that her blood won’t get too thin, as well as a preclampsia panel, because of the high pressure, large weight gain in the past 3 weeks, and something in the urine that was postive…didn’t catch what that meant.

So after the testing, assuming it shows these other factors are ok, we WAIT. And oh how we all love that waiting game. She is 22 weeks tomorrow, so the Dr. said the next two weeks are crucial, to make it past the magical line of ‘viable’. After that it will be close checking on the live baby, and seeing that the one that passed is absorbed back in. They had seperate sacks and placentas, so the passing of the one theoretically should not harm the other, but of course there are all sorts of 1% chances of this, that, and the other thing.

This is very fucking scary, and I am so sad for the loss of that one little boy. Please send your love and prayers her way and to the little boy hanging in there, that he keeps growing and gets stronger. They need all the positive thoughts you can muster. Charlie and I are very worried not only about the baby who is left, but about Cecily’s health–about her life. We are scared.

I’m sure Cec will update herself in another day or two. How does one "process" something like this?? You just fucking can’t. That’s what Charlie said. You just fucking can’t.

Sarah

Comments

1. kim says

Oh no. No. NO.
    I’m so so so incredibly sorry.
    Praying hard that little guy hangs in there for you and your husband.

2. Chris says

Sorry doesn’t seem to be adequate, but I am so very very sorry. You all are in my thoughts. Hang in there little guy!

3. Tammy says

I don’t know if it’s possible to say anything reassurring at a time like this, but I wanted to let you know that I was born under similar circumstances. My twin passed away in utero, passed successfully, and I survived and was born a couple of months later without incident. And that was back in 1970.
    My heart goes out to you and your husband. I’ll be thinking of you both.

4. Jo-Ann says

I want to say that we love you Cecily and Charlie very very much
    All good vibes are in your directions

5. Michelle says

So sorry to read this. Hang in there Cecily and baby! You are lucky to have a good friend like Sarah there with you.
    You are in my thoughts.

6. Leslie says

Oh Cecily! You are in my prayers. Hang in there. No one should have to go through something like that. Here’s a tiny bit of good news. My boss lost a twin and went on to deliver a normal normal singleton. Not that it makes this bearable.

7. Anna H. says

Oh, Cecily, I am so, so sorry.
    We are all out here, sending good thoughts your way.
    Thanks for letting us know Sarah.
    xxoo

8. Stacy says

I’ve been a long time reader of yours & a silent fan. There are no words right now.
    You and your family are in my prayers.

9. Tracy says

Cecily, I’m so so sorry. Your loss is devastating & horrible. Sending my wishes for your & your baby’s health.

10. Elise says

Hey guys,
    We love you so much and hate to hear this news. What a terrible loss. We are thinking of you and sending lots of love.

11. The Puppy Pile! says

Heartbroken…

I feel like the wind has just been knocked out of me… A good friend of mine who is pregnant has lost one of her twin baby boys. :( She’s just past the halfway point at 22 weeks along and…

12. Jen P says

Cecily and Charlie, I’m so sorry for the passing of your son. This is coming as such a shock!! I hope the both of you are resting well and I hope the wait is blessedly smooth and quick.
    Come on little sweet baby!! Hang in there for mama and papa!!!
    Thinking of you both during this time.

13. StacyG says

So so sorry. Please know that you, your husband and baby will be in my thoguths and prayers. I wish there was more I could do.

14. Jennifer says

Cecily and Charlie-
    I am so sorry for your loss. I don’t know what else to say. You’ll be in my thoughts and prayers.
    -Jennifer

15. lisa says

*hugs* I am so, so sorry. I will be keeping you and your family in my thoughts, and wishing the best for your little boy. May he be born full term and healthy.

16. Kathleen says

Sarah, I’m sure that was a difficult post to write, thank you for sharing it with us.
    Cecily and Charlie, I’m so sorry that your son has died. Your surviving son and both of you are in my thoughts and in my heart.
    Kathleen

17. Cory says

Sarah,
    Please let us know if there’s anything we can do.
    Cecily, I’m so sorry for the loss of your little one, and I’m sending best wishes for the other to be healthy and thrive.
    xo

18. ktpupp says

Oh no…. I am so sorry, Cec… I have been thinking about you lately and sending good vibes for your pregnancy. I will double my efforts and keep you in my ‘prayers’ – whatever they may be. You’re one of the strongest women I have ever known, I have faith that you will have the strength to weather this.
    Please feel free to reach out if you need **anything**. I may be miles away, but I am here for you. I miss you lots! *hugs*
    -=kt=-

19. alexhere says

My heart just dropped to the floor…I am so sorry for you and your husband. Words cannot express how hard this must be for everyone…..so sad..
    Thank you Sara for letting us know what is going on…I will say some prayers.

20. MOT says

Cecily – Clearly, you are a brave, strong woman, but that doesn’t mean you have to be brave and strong all the time. Crying helps. We are crying with you and for you and thinking good, bright, white thoughts for you and Twin A.
    Baby – You can make it, little guy! Just think, if you hang in there a little longer, you’ll get to meet your cool mama, and call her your own.

21. Sam says

Oh, Cec, so much for one person to deal with…you are so fucking loved and that baby is so loved, just hang in there, both of you. Crying for you, girl.

Trackbacks